Rosemary's Journal

An online story of living and loving.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Pepper to the Rescue

Our dog Pepper wasn't just any dog. She was part human. A sweet black Cocker Spaniel with a tail that wagged so hard we thought it should have fallen off. She loved to play with us by the river. The Des Moines river in Iowa was just a few feet from our back door. We would swim, row boats, fly kites way above it and fish there every chance we could. In the winter we would make a bond fire by the moon light and go ice skating. The ice was harder and safer at night when it was cold.

This warm summer day I was in my room playing school, like always. I was a possessed seven year old. In my bedroom was had a huge black chalk board, real desks, maps, books and more. I, was the teacher. While preparing for an important lesson, I heard Pepper barking at the back door. I ran to see what she wanted. She always had something to say. This time the barks were intense and loud. I looked out the screen door and asked her what was the matter. She just keep barking and jumping on the screen frantically. Something was seriously wrong. I ran to the back of the house to tell mama. She said to keep an eye on her and she would be there shortly.

"Pepper, Pepper where are you?" Still in a rage and barking I noticed she had come up from river bank. Stepping out to follow her my heart was beating rapidly. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was Steven, my six year old, very curious brother. He was always doing the opposite of what he was told. He was all boy. He was thrashing in the water with his face down. I started to scream for mama. She flung open the screen door, yelling for me to get help. She had realized what had happened even before she got there. In her demanding voice, she told me to get Uncle Richard, who lived next door. She yelled, “Hurry”.

He had heard mom screaming and was running towards me. Steven was exhausted from trying to keep above the water for so long. Mama stepped into the river and tried to pull him up. She was pregnant at the time. She held him near to her. They were both dripping wet. She kept trying to assure him he was going to be all right. She started to climb up the bank, but couldn’t get out. She the realized his foot was caught on something. She kept trying to pull him free. The river water was dark and murky. It was difficult to see what was lying below.

In those days people didn’t have dump sites to dispose of garbage. They would just dump house hold items out into the river. We never did such a thing. Unfortunately these things would wash their was down the river and get caught on the muddy uneven banks. Finally my Uncle got something to cut him loose. He had then realized, it was an old rusty bed spring that gripped his foot so tightly. At last he was free and safe again. Steven was still crying and kicking. Mama was crying. She was so relived that her little boy was alive in her arms. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was so frightened. In fear of all most losing my cute little blonde haired active brother.

Pepper was the greatest dog ever. Sadly enough it was her last act of kindness. She was hit by a drunk driver a week later. She was never replaced and will never be forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home